• Dansk
  • English
  • Deutsch

The farm 'Plougs gård'


The farm Plougs gård - or Plougsgaard - lay on the field at Plougstrup Mark. The farm burned down in 1920, but the place has a fascinating history which, among other things, is linked to a regicide.


Plougs outlying property

Just east of Jernved is Plougstrup. In 1638, the parish priest Lauge Sørensen wrote a priest report to Ribe diocese in which he mentioned various burial mounds on Plougstrup Mark, as he termed the site. A total of 10 burial mounds were described by name. One of these mounds was to be called Plougs Høj (today Plovshøj) and is the one that has given its name to the place.

Plougstrup comes from ’Plougs torp’ (outlying property), and the assumption must be made that it was bought by a person named Ploug back in pagan times. For centuries, this field was home to a large farming family, who set its status by having a farm, which was larger than the others on the site.


Sorte Plov

The lord Sorte Plov/Ploug (Black Plough) is known from the Icelandic Knytlinge saga that occurred in the latter half of the 1200s. The saga recounts that on a farm in Plougstrup lived a man named Sorte Plov. This was the man who killed the Danish king Erik II Emune in 1137. It happened at a thing held in Ribe (perhaps in Hviding), and presumably because the king had let Sorte Plov’s father be killed. The reason for this killing was probably because the father had spoken against the king - also at a thing. After the killing, Sorte Ploug lived ”in honour” for many years, but in 1151 he was supposed to be killed on the command of the new king, Svend Grathe. Svend Grathe was the son of Erik Emune.


Plougs gård


Since then, Plougs gård has been inhabited by various owners until it burned down in 1579. The then owner, Kristen Vind, was an officer in the King's palace in Copenhagen. After the fire, he got a royal letter on how to enjoy, use and keep the farm for himself and his family forever. At the same time the farm was probably built at a new place - away from the old castle area.

The new farm was built as ordinary farmhouse. In 1583, it belonged to the virgins Barbara and Berete Vind, and in 1586 belonged to Mrs Marie Henrik Vind. According to some old writings from the time ” there now live no farmers in it.”

In 1619, the farm once again got some noble residents to Plougstrup, namely Jesper Lunov.  He had probably been passed down the farm as his inheritance. It was the last time Plougs gård was mentioned as a manor.

In 1920, the farm burned down again, and it has not been rebuilt since. However, there is a photograph of the farm as it looked before this fire.


Author: Knud Elbæk Sørensen, Jernved Parish archives


Sources and literature:

Jernved Parish archives, see http://gredstedbroegnen.dk/foreninger/sognarkivet/




14.  Plougs gård

a.       Filnavn: Erik Emune Ribe

Tekst: Erik II Emune’s portrait in Ribe Cathedral.

Foto: Jernved Sognearkiv