The anti-tank ditches at Lintrup
From autumn 1944 to the spring of 1945, the German occupation dug 3 anti-tank ditches across South Jutland.
The three defense lines were called Brynhild, Gudrun and Kriemhild; all names from Wagner's opera 'Niebelungens Ring'.
Gudren was the central defensive line. The anti-tank ditch went across Jutland from Kolding to the north of Ribe along the three rivers Lille Å, Gesten Å and Kongeåen.
The anti-tank ditches were five metres wide and three metres deep and their purpose was to stop enemy tanks. Gudren also consisted of concrete and barbed wire obstructions, trenches, battlements and posts for machine guns, mortars and cannons.
In April 1945, the Germans turned the front towards the south and moved almost all equipment from Gudrun to the southern defensive line Kriemhild.
In a forest north of Lintrup, a section of an anit-tank ditch has been reconstructed from the Gudrun line.
Source: Leif Petersen, Haderslev. Leif Petersen has been involved in a project to register military fortifications constructed in Denmark 1845-1945.